Sunday, September 20, 2009

FINAL STATEMENT



So, this final product of mine required more then I can give personally. I feel that to much was required in to little of time and at a high grading cost.
I fully understand that a designer needs to be able to produce above and beyond in a short amount of time with next to perfect craft. but I also understand that Im in design school to learn these skills over the time Im here and not all at once.   The overall craft of my book is poor and Im not going to argue about it because i know it is, and i know thats what i will be told. I totally wish, however that I chose a different topic because it was a huge blow to the out come and my ability to find useable resources in contrast with my small budget.  If the whole of my project was just black dots i feel it wold have had a better end quality. 

Over the corse of the project i didn't think about a lot of the concepts we learned about because of the constant rush to make things work they slipped right out the window and came into realization after the book was completed.  
I am very displeased with myself, my work, and how much i was not able to apply myself because of the time. But at the smallest level Im happy I finished the book to a completed state.
The typography aspect of the assignment I complete enjoyed, I feel i was successful in the use of type in  most of the type compositions created.

I believe the thing i could improve the most on above all is craft,  it will be hard because hand craft is not my biggest skill unless ample time is given and i have a feeling it wont be. 
I took the liberty of smudging the front cover of my book with charcoal  to better relate the craft to the topic of history which in my mind has a grainy grungy dirty look to it.

Im hoping we will learn some more stuff computer related soon so can work more fluidly

1 comment:

  1. Some good observations about relationship of time to craft. Learning to manage the resources you have available is a valuable skill a designer can develop.

    "but I also understand that Im in design school to learn these skills over the time Im here and not all at once." Very true and this is a optimistic outlook to have moving forward.

    You will continually build on computer skills - but also hand skills - as they are both valuable assets in the designer's "tool box".

    Your intention of "history" for the front cover is well founded, but the execution did not achieve the connotations I think you were going for.

    ReplyDelete