Saturday, October 17, 2009

3d letter form procces

Constructing an abstracted letter form.
In this post is a few shots of creating an abstracted form of an uppercase letter I. My focus on form was to bring more dynamic angles to the uppercase letter I. I personally feel the letter I is over looked do to its simple form.  What i did was play with stroke to make sections of squares smaller in scale to larger in scale. The project was constructed from foam core.

I feel i succeded in makeing the form of "I" more dynamic by adding such square angles. This idea was perfict for the shape of "I" and would not have worked as well with a letter form with curved strokes or counters.

I then spray painted the planes with a white surface. So far I've applied about 3 or 4 coats.        I feel my overall craft could have been more focused on do to a lot of seam issues along the edges. I fixed this by applying tape and a few more coats of paint.

After construction we began studting form in space with black and white digital photography.
the last of these three images is one of my outcomes. The cropping of the form in this picture creates a feeling of stability. its also a visual metaphor because you can also perceive a feeling of unbalanced do to the angle of the form.

later we will be constructing another accordion style book with photo pairs of our letter forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment